You are here

Santa Maria de Llimiana

Cultural heritage

Romanesque churches

Santa Maria de Llimiana

Santa Maria de Llimiana

Description

Commonly known as the cathedral of the Conca. It is a Romanesque church with three naves separated by arcades based on pilasters. The central nave, slightly higher, has arches supported by columns attached to the pillars. In 1990 the rectory building was torn down, showing three Romanesque apses form the 11th century. These, like the side walls of the church, are decorated with lesenes and Lombard arches. The belfry, with square plan, is attached to the south façade, the upper part collapsed in the end of the 19th century. A polychrome carving representing Christ was conserved inside of the church until 1936.

History

First indirect reference to the church of Llimiana dates from 1280, when the priest of Llimiana incorporates the church to the deaconry of Tremp. It is only in 1314 when the church itself is documented in a visit of  the Tarragona archbishop delegates.

More information

Epicentre- Centre de Visitants del Pallars Jussà

Passeig del Vall, 13

25620 Tremp

Tel.: 973 653 470

E-mail: oficinaturisme@pallarsjussa.cat

How to arrive 

Photo gallery 
Santa Maria de Llimiana
Santa Maria de Llimiana